Wednesday, August 21, 2013

One Foot In The Past- The Other In The Future-Pissing On The Present or Try This...

"If you have your full attention in the moment, you will see only love." -Deepak Chopra

After my blog post from yesterday I figured it would be nice to keep this one a bit lighter in the subject matter.

I simply want to share a cool experience I had the other evening.  It was very brief yet incredibly powerful.  It was like a yoga class in the seat of my car. I also want to say it felt like something I would have read about in Eckhart Tolle's book, "The Power Of Now."  I can't be sure.  The last time I picked up that book was in 2003.  I think I read one chapter and part of me is still suspended in 2003 trying to comprehend what the hell he was talking about.  I mean I am fairly certain I felt the power of now and I didn't need to read a whole book to understand it.

Anyways, here is the set up:

My hub and I were driving back from watching a movie the other night.  It was actually a really funny movie.  Funny in the way that I would be mortified if I went and watched it with my parents.  As we were driving along I felt my muscles start to relax from soaking in the soothing motion of the car.  I remember noticing and really appreciating the temperature outside and how nice it felt on my skin.  As I continued to melt into the passenger seat I had a flash back of a yoga and meditation workshop I had attended the previous Sunday at The Ivy House in Nashville.  I could see my teacher, Corrine, and just for a moment I heard her say the Deepak Chopra quote she repeats often, "If you have your full attention in the moment, you will only see love."

For some reason I decided to give it a go and find out about that moment.  Would I really see love?  With my eyes closed I began following my breath so I could make a conscious connection to my body- especially my heart.  I kept focusing on my inhalation, my exhalation, and the beat of my heart.  I then set an intention to not allow any thoughts to surface about my past or my future.  I just wanted to be completely present in the moment.  So I did just that.  Warm breeze on my skin, humming of the motor, my hubby peacefully holding the steering wheel.  I breathed.  I felt it.  What came next literally only lasted for a few moments because that is all I could do to keep myself completely present.  

In those few precious moments I felt peace.  In that small space of time there was no need to worry.  I knew everything that I needed in life was contained in that moment and there was nothing that I was lacking. I was present.  I had food in my belly, a car taking me to a house with a warm bed, a loving husband. My breath was giving me life and allowing me to experience this.  There was nothing I needed to be, buy, regret, or anticipate.  I had my breath, peace, acceptance, and love.  I was content.  I had everything.  And then........POOF! 

It was fleeting. In those few moments "the observer" part of me was also present.  I could feel a crazy energy bouncing around in my head.  It was unbelievable.  It was like I was feeling the amount of energy that is used on a daily basis to fuel the racing thoughts in my head of the past and future.  Even though I did not allow  thoughts of the past or future enter my consciousness I could still feel their energy.  Bouncing. Flitting. Fighting. Trying to be noticed. Wanting to be acknowledged.  All I could think of when I came back into my head and allowed the thoughts to flood forth once again was, "OMG, how freaking exhausting!"   

Then I observed my thoughts as we continued to drive home.  Yep.  The subject matter of my thoughts would bounce from images of my past to thoughts and fears about my future.  I was not living in the present at all.  I was not appreciating or trusting that all that I had in the moment was all I needed.  No. Something in quietly whispered, "more."  Be more.  Do more. Prove more.  Buy More.  You need more.  Then life will be okay. The rest of the ride home I observed how my mind was living in two different time periods.  It took way to much effort to keep myself in the present.  Way to much.  It  really is quite exhausting to live in two different time periods. 

Man I know some of this may sound cheesy and airy fairy.  I am just saying it is not a secret that most of us have one foot in the past and one foot in the future and basically end up pissing on the present or a kinder way to say that would be, missing the present.

All I am saying is if you happen to be reading this and sometime today you want check out the gifts of your "present moment"  go for it. Do what I did above or whatever works for you to start shifting out of your head and connecting consciously to your body and heart.  Following the breath is what I always recommend.  See what happens for you.  Intend not to allow any thoughts from the past of future enter. Stay present to what is in the moment.  Connect to gratitude. Those past and present thoughts may still be there playing around in your head.  Wanting to be noticed.  You may feel them as energy in your head but by staying connected to your breath and body you don't have let them affect you.  Just for a few moments.   Allow the observer part of you to be present and notice how your brain feels.  

Is there a racing energy in it?  

Are you able to stay completely present to everything that is contained in those moments? 

Are you able to feel appreciation and gratitude?

What does it feel like to not be wondering about the past or future?

Can you receive the present/the gift that is being offered in the moments?   

How long can you sustain before the thoughts come rushing forth?

Give it a go....see what happens.  All you will miss out on is a few moments of head clutter. It will be there when you come back.  You may even come back with a little less clutter and a bit more peace.  Who knows!?

Will you see only love in the moment?  I did.  It was in the form of gratitude and contentment.  

Oh, and if you do decide to embrace your moment I would love to know what you experienced. Seriously.  Be airy fairy.  Go for it.  Its fun.  Please post your comments in the section down below and not on the Facebook comments.  I'd like to start building the comments within the blog.  Thanks!


Medicine for out of control time travel and racing thoughts:

Breathing, Meditation and/or Dancing.  Seriously.  For some dance is  their meditation.    They all work.  





No comments:

Post a Comment